Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hidden Treasure - Understanding

Hidden Treasure Lesson 1 (understanding)

Some discussion from FB to share so all can see:
Claire: I had a quick question for you regarding last night's study - I liked your interpretation of the mini-parable, but I wasn't really clear on why you thought it WASN'T what Josh thought it was (and what I sorta leaned towards). To be a bit more lucid, why do you think that the parable is talking MORE about giving up everything than it is about the seek-find aspect? I can understand the real-life applications we went over last night (I like the handout idea), but I'm just not clear on why it's more of that aspect than the other.

Patrick:
Good question – though not a quick one!! The answer lies in how you approach the parable. In other words, how is a parable to be interpreted? What is the context of this parable and other parables? The context of the parable is “the kingdom of heaven is like…” with the intended desire on Jesus part for us to respond to the infinite value of the kingdom which is among them as the king is. I do not think that Jesus is talking about himself being the treasure hunter here (more on that below).

I think Klyne Snodgrass has a this point in his newly released mammoth 846 page scholarly volume on the parables called Stories with Intent. He notes: “On the surface Jesus’ parables are not accounts describing God or the world of animals and nature. They are narratives or normalcy and mirror the commonness of first-century Palestinian human life, the life of farmers, shepherds, servants and masters, women fathers and sons and occasionally kings. Their humanness makes them interesting in their own right, but by mirroring they seek to change behavior and create disciples. Their main purpose is to goad people into response.”

Even Calvin notes: “The first two of these parables are intended to instruct believers to prefer the Kingdom of heaven to the whole world, and therefore to deny themselves and all the desires of the flesh, that nothing may prevent them from obtaining so valuable a possession.” (Commentary on Synoptic Gospels)

The problem with Josh's view (and I will not lump you in with him just yet :) is that it is not the purpose of what Jesus intended in the parable. He did not intend to say that it is about what He did for us. I will say that a few modern theologians make this interpretation in fear of focus on salvation by works. Even the Jesus Story Book Bible after the “the kingdom is like…how do you respond interpretation” we discussed last night notes: [God had a treasure too…his children…Jesus gave everything to pay the price to win them back] (my paraphrase) to point out that God did seek us and to have us think of this in historical redemptive thought. While I would say that it is very obviously true biblically speaking that Jesus did this and that in our lostness we do not seek the kingdom, this is not the point of the parable. When interpreted that way theology is read into the parable. One must always be careful not to read into the passage but allow the passage to speak for itself.

It is hard to believe that it was Jesus’ or Matthew’s aim in light of the context and parable teaching Jesus was doing. I believe such an approach is unnecessarily motivated by the desire to avoid any thought of salvation by works. The intent of the introduction is the kingdom is like the situation [of such a finding]. It is about the value and joy of finding the kingdom.

I hope this makes sense – let me know if you have any questions about it.

Claire:
I'm definitely going to give your response some thought before I vocalize any more of my opinions, but I would really value your opinion on this passage from The Wycliffe Bible Commentary:

"Though the treasure is usually explained as Christ, the Gospel, salvation, or the Church, which a sinner should be willing to sacrifice all to obtain, the consistent use of the man in this series as referring to Christ, and the action of hiding again after finding make such view unlikely. Rather, the treasure hidden in the field depicts the place of national Israel during the interregnum (Ex 19:5; Ps 135:4). To this obscure nation came Christ. The nation, however, rejected him, and so, by the divine purpose, she was removed from her momentary promenance; even today she remains obscured to outward view as to her relation to the Messianic kingdom (Mt 21:43). Yet Christ gave his very life (all that he hath) to purchase the whole field (the world, II Cor 5:19; I Jn 2:2), and thus obtained full ownership by right of discovery and redemption. When he comes again, the treasure will be unearthed and fully displayed (Zech. 12,13)."


Obviously this commentary seems to side more with my view, although I'm not really sure what I think about it myself just yet. I would like to emphasize that I fully agree with everything you've said pertaining to the complete sacrifice required to follow Christ with a true heart; I'm just not sure that I think the emphasis is on that sacrifice and not on seeking.

Patrick:
My opinion would be that they are part of those theologians that make this interpretation in fear of focus on salvation by works - which is good, no problems whatsoever in emphasizing salvation is NOT by works. However, they are reading theology into the text (my opinion).

I, simply do not see that in the parable and do not believe it was Jesus aim as he told this to the people to whom he was speaking. The ESV study Bible takes into consideration the greater context in saying: "Jesus made known the hidden things of the kingdom by parables (v.35) but they remain hidden for most people, who cannot see their value. But like the man who finds treasure or the trader in pearls, those who do not perceive the value of the kingdom will sacrifice anything to obtain it."

And how about this thinking: "the incalculable preciousness of salvation for those who discover it and obtain possession of it 'without even looking'" Did the man in the field actually go looking for the treasure or did it, shall we say, find him??

No comments: